Skip to main content

Our first house Seattle, WA 1997









I was planning another post for today, but came across these images of our first house and I thought to myself, "that would be fun to share with my fans". We lived in Des Moines, WA in a rental cottage and I got the desire to own our own home when we had our first daughter. After several deals that fell through, we were able to secure this house. It needed a lot of work and thankfully, my Dad is in construction and did a major overhaul for us. When we bought the home, it was 710 square feet and every inch of it was painted a light green color. When I say every inch, I mean every inch. Under the sinks, in the cupboards, all the walls and ceilings. Even the tub was that light green color. After we had our second daughter, our 710 sq ft didn't seem to have enough room for us. We looked into moving, but in the end decided we would end up with more house if we added on. I'll tell you, remodeling is not for the faint of heart! Especially when you have a newborn! But, we never did do things the easy way, so we dove on in, with my Dad again, leading the remodel. We added on 824 sq ft that consisted of 2 new bedrooms, a new kitchen and a  play room. It was awesome! We had a large hallway in between the old and new and we installed sliding double doors to section it off it we wanted things quiet for naps and such. We also installed an indoor swing in that hallway and our girls had hours of fun swinging inside. I had my third daughter in this house and I get almost teary thinking of all the memories that are so dear to my heart that were made there....my garden, the hazelnut tree with the tire swing.....walking in the neighborhood.....*SIGH* time goes fast doesn't it? Tell me about your first house.....Enjoy~ Gretchen

Comments

I can't imagine a remodel with a newborn! We're still renting, and I don't feel like we've had a place that I love to call "home," but I'm hopeful we'll find that home one day soon!
Great post! Has me feeling all nostalgic about our first home now lol
Natalie, you will get your home!
Barrie, I was getting nostalgic too! Pictures are great for provoking those memories! I love being a photographer!