Skip to main content

Henna...step into a hair coloring adventure!

I recently brightened up my hair color with some Red Henna. I have had lots of questions about it, so I thought I'd give you the pros and cons today. Overall, Henna is a good thing for me. It's a beautiful, bright color, it fades slowly over time and it's all natural. On the "con" side, Henna is messy, it's not permanent and it's messy. Oh yeah, did I mention messy? By far, the messy part is the worst feature of henna. Let me explain.
 Now let's say you want to color your hair and you want to do it yourself, you'd like to have it natural and not damage your hair. Henna is the product for you! It comes in clear, auburn, red, brown and black. I have only used the auburn and red. Red is more orange and light than auburn. It also depends a lot on your hair color. If you have lighter hair, it will be a lot brighter. There have been a few times I worried I looked like a clown, but after a few days it faded enough to look nice.
 You can find henna at PCC or Fred Meyer. It comes in a simple cardboard box with a little animal on the front. It's only about $8. Once you get home and have a place that you won't mind the glops of henna mud that inevitably fall everywhere to get on, you can get started. In the box is the powder, handy plastic gloves and the cool plastic cap. (lol) Get yourself a glass bowl and boil the water. I usually add extra water because it thickens so much as it sits there. Mix it all up and let it sit until you can handle it. Basically you squish the mud into your hair and try to get it all over and underneath. Glops will be flying. Don't worry too much. They clean up pretty easily. Even better, if it's warm, go outside if you have a friend to help put it on.
 Once all that's done, let it sit on your head for about an hour.  I rinse it in the kitchen sink and then take a shower.
More tips:-be sure to put on clothes you don't mind staining -grab a towel you also don't mind staining -plan to be away from furniture that will stain while it sets -clean up everything right away to minimize stains. The color will slowly fade over time, but it's not very noticeable. Let me know if you jump in and try it! And feel free to laugh at my pictures. Enjoy~Gretchen



Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrien said…
Hmm, I've always wanted to try red... maybe I'll give it a shot this summer! Outside would definitely be the way for me... tiny apartment and no where to make a mess!
Yasmin Sarai said…
woah, I didn't know henna could do that!
Oh my, I want to try this!
Jamie Bodo said…
I didn't know you could use Henna to color your hair! Fun post! Your hair looks great :D
Anna Gordon said…
Love this - thanks for sharing! Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try:)
Rebecca Anne said…
Those photos are hilarious. Love it!
Girly Girl said…
Oh man that is really messy, but the color is beautiful. I was thinking about trying some henna myself.