Skip to main content

An adventure in Fun for Ken's 50th! (Seattle, Wa)

A few weeks ago, I got an invitation for our family to celebrate our friend Kens 50th birthday! We all love Ken, so I put down that we would go play "Whirlyball", whatever that is. I had never played, but the kids had been there before and thought it would be fun. For some reason, I had it in mind it was in Kent. Thankfully, as I plugged in the directions to my iphone, I realized it was the other direction, in Edmonds, WA. What would we do without our iphones? When I got there, I was battling a headache and bumper cars didn't seem like the best idea for me. After my medicine kicked in, I thought, "ok, I'll give this a try, at least one game." Let-me-tell you, I am a whirlyball believer! This is the most fun I have had in a long time! You get in your car and have 4 other team mates. You have a whiffle ball scoop and targets at either end. They help us grown ups out and make our car color match our target. One reason it's so fun is because you can barely figure out how to make the bumper car go where you want it and also it has no brakes. This causes some interesting accidents. And sometimes painful ones. If you hit the back of someone, you give the other team 2-8 points. All other parts of the car are fair game. If you get the chance, try it out some weekend, kids ages 8 and up can go and it's only about 20 min from Seattle. Drop me a note and I'd love to join you! Enjoy~Gretchen
Ken, whose birthday we were celebrating, is on the left in the tan shirt. Ken and Gary are trying to block Tina's toss while Deta whoops a war cry!

Here I am nervously trying to steer my car and get past Ken. He thinks this is hilarious.

More ganging up on Tina. Go Tina Go!

Ken makes his goal! Happy 50th buddy!

Tina, Deta and I have Bob surrounded. Oh the girl power!

Joe, my hubby and Serafina prepare to face off. Joe is slightly more excited.

The Grant family- Michael in front, Tina left, Ken right, Melissa and her twin Ashely. Thanks for the amazing time Grants. We love you!

Comments

Jamie Bodo said…
Looks like everyone had a blast! As a kid I had one of those scoop thingies and I asked my aunt what it was for.... she lied to me and told me it was for picking Oranges off the tree, LOL!
Ok, so this looks like crazy fun. I sh we had seen it when we visited. Great pictures too! I'm the same way with my Google Maps (I haven't upgraded my iOS yet). Great family shots!
I love it. Finding a kid i my
self.