Skip to main content

ReSTART, with Jasmine Star Seattle, WA January 2013





It's been two weeks and I still have not gotten my blog post about this. I think I have been on Facebook using all my time to like all the pages we have been sharing on the ReSTARt pages. I am on three! It's been my new hobby, liking pages. But let me get back to the reason I am blogging.
  ReSTARt! What is it you may be wondering? Well, I'll fill you all in on the details. I came in late to the game myself. One day, I get a email from my hubby, Joe. It's a forward from Creative Live studios here in Seattle, WA asking if you would like to be part of a studio audience for an upcoming show with Jasmine Star.  I have a flexible schedule so I fill it out and think nothing more about it.
 A few weeks later, I get an email saying I have been chosen to be on the show! Then I start getting excited! Someone starts a facebook group for those of us in the audience and we get to know each other. It's only got about 20 or so people in it. Then one day I get up and I see someone from Europe is on the top of the post. I say "Wow, you are coming from a long way!" After I posted that I realized our small group has blossomed into 1000s of people. I am confused. Soon after another group is started for ReStart attendees. I found out later that the jump was due to Jasmine Star blogging about ReSTARt and it was an open group, so lets just say it blossomed, no, let's be real and say it exploded across the world into an amazing gathering of photographers! Sharing ideas, asking questions, supporting each other....wow, but enough about that group for now and onto more details.
 The basic idea for this Creative Live show with Jasmine Star, is taking three photographers on a journey to comb through every aspect of their photography businesses and helping them see where they can grow and giving them tools to do it effectively. They choose three photographers, Nikki, Ryan and Melissa from their video submissions (which you can see on youtube). This process is one that others like myself can join in and learn as they learn what we can do to restart our businesses. There will be three episodes, one per month in January, February and March. I can't wait to see how they grow and how I grow!
Back to explaining how it all came about for me.....After talking it over with Joe, I decide we will spend the night in Seattle as I have to be at the studio at 8am. As I live an hour away, I think this will be a good idea. I offer to host a gathering at the Camlin where we are staying to get to know everyone before the show. I'll admit, I was impulsive in offering this as I usually am and find myself getting pretty nervous about meeting everyone as the day draws near. I am sure I am not as cool as them, nor as talented and what if they don't like me?!? The top image of the group are those who were able to make it and we had a great time getting to know each other that night. I'm so glad I didn't listen to my nerves and took that step to invite others.
 We went to bed and didn't sleep so well, so I was glad I was in town already and able to bundle up in my rain coat to go out in the torrents of rain coming down in Seattle and get my coffee from the local Cafe Ladro. I got my whole milk, extra foamy latte with a bit of caramel and felt hope for the morning! Drove over to CL and found some parking. I was early, but didn't notice until I walked in the door. I got stage fright and walked right back out and waited until a bit after 8 to reenter. (Man I am being ridiculous) As you walk in, you see white walls and a place to hang coats and set umbrellas. Then I see someone who directs me to the lunch room where it is already buzzing with photographers all chatting. People I met say "hi" to me and this helps me get over my nerves quite a bit! Thank-you Adrien Craven! In a little bit, Celeste, the producer comes in and tell us a little of what to expect, when to clap and we will be ushered into the studio in a few minutes!
 I made one last pit stop before going and ended up on the last row of people for the first segment which was too bad as I was unable to see Jasmine, Nikki, Ryan and Melissa in the front row. It was so interesting and Jasmine was such a good teacher, the time just flew by. We all felt for our fellow photographers as they were critiqued on their email responses that Jasmine sent secretly, as we watched the video of their surprise interview with a couple the day before and then as they were sent to do an impromptu photo shoot. They held together really well and impressed us all. By the end of the day, there were tears of joy and frustration and heartfelt sentiments from the audience even brought tears to Jasmine's eyes. We all gathered ourselves together and enjoyed the end of the day "cocktail hour" put on by CL. We just didn't get enough of each other, so we went out to Tutta Bella's for a few more hours.
 As I drove back home to my family, I looked so forward to seeing them and getting my hugs and kisses all refilled. I was grateful for my time away and could tell there were big changes coming for our business. I also felt incredibly excited and full to bursting with the new plans and assignments Jasmine had left us with. Thank you Creative Live and thank you Jasmine Star for allowing us to learn from you and walking with us on this journey of building our photography businesses. You are like none other.
 We are all excited for the next time in the studio in March and this time Joe gets to come too! There will be a show on February 13th at 9am airing. (we will not be in studio) It is Jasmine Star teaching on website, blogs etc. Don't miss it and join me in watching live on the internet at http://www.creativelive.com/
 Blessings! Gretchen

Comments