Skip to main content

A day in the life-homeschooling, naturally minded, photographer mama

I am sitting here, sewing on two Pom poms back onto a pink kitty hat my younger daughter cut off and now my middle daughter wants back on. This was a good time to reflect on my day. Sometimes homeschooling around here means we sit at our table and each kid works through their books while I help and work in the kitchen or on the computer. Those days are fine, not overly inspiring, but fine. Productive.
 Today started out as one of those days. I slept in a little, till 8. My littlest came in and went out in a matter of minutes. I was already awake, surveying my body which was feeling a little achey and my heart was too after a rough evening with some friends. I heaved myself up, expecting to have to wake up my kiddos. I didn't feel like getting dressed, but I made myself (in my comfy sweats and my still clean shirt from yesterday), because I knew that the day would begin and I would need to be ready to go drive to lessons. I peeked in my teens room. Surprisingly, she wasn't there. In fact, when I went downstairs, two out of three of my kids were up, doing their school. My sometimes slow to start 7 year old, nonchalantly said, "I did my math and science and am almost done with spelling." It's amazing I did not fall over right then and there! What? She did all that on her own? Then, my teen tells me she's been up since seven and even remembered to start 15 minutes early so she can eat with me! What? Again? (still, amazingly standing up). So the morning proceeded on, books were mostly completed, horseriding lessons and gymnastics lessons occurred. I was out in between lessons with my 7 year old. We got some dog food and a few dog toys, the cow hoof was the favorite. We also stopped off at Jiffy Lube and got our oil changed. They got it done in 15 minutes. There was a lady, Linsey, who was filling out an application there. She started talking to us. She was very open and sweet. She started asking Josie some questions and Josie was shy at first, but Linsey told her to think about what she wanted to be when she grew up. She answered after a little bit, "I want to be a scientist" "Oh yeah, that's great! Where will you go to college? My 7 year old wants to be a doctor so I got some big fish from the butcher and we cut them open and then we learned about them and then we ate them." says, Linsey. Josie replies, "I dissected a crayfish and a cow eye ball yesterday with my sister. It was so cool. That's why I want to be a scientist." Awesome I am thinking in my homeschool mommy mind. This is great! And to top it off Linsey says she hopes to be pregnant with twins or even triplets in the next year with her new husband and she is just a sweet excited lady. On the way home, my 7 year old says, "Mom, I am gonna make my room a scientist room and I am gonna have a science birthday ok?"
Back at home, lunch was made, eaten and cleaned up from. Some things were still getting finished up, when a knock was at the door. A neighbor was askig if my kids could take care of her plants and cats on an upcoming trip. She also mentioned that she had some homeschool books for me. We brought the books and a box of stuff home. I started pulling things out and showing the kids. There were some readers, some leap pad games (star wars phonics OH YEAH!) and some science stuff. WOW! Cool, Josie takes a look at the planet kit that's in the box and gets all excited. She says, "All right Mom!!! We can hang this up above my bed and make it like a scientist room! Won't that be awesome?" So we proceeded to spend the next hour or so getting them strung up, talking about planets and what they are like and finished up by snuggling for awhile and sharing that contented feeling that comes after completing something that you are interested in and that makes someone else happy.
 Yup, that ordinary day ended up as a extra cool, makes your homeschool mom happy kind of day! That's the best and there were lots more things in the day, but I am too tired to tell you them all!
 Enjoy~ Gretchen

Comments