Skip to main content

Baby Juncos, Day 2

Today my 8 yo daughter went out to the yard to jump on the trampoline. When she came back in she told me something she noticed. "The daddy bird scolds me and his voice is lower. When the mommy bird scolds me, it sounds higher." I thought that was an amazing observation! We are blessed today to have another sunny day. This makes three in a row I think! It's something we have been waiting for as this has been a gray drizzly spring here at the base of the Cascade Mountains. When I went out to take pictures of the baby juncos, my daughter found a lady bug too! First one of the year. She gathered it up and brought it inside and is putting it in a jar for a "pet" right now! AH Spring, almost summer, how we love thee! Enjoy~ Gretchen
It's so amazing to see their little beaks. You can even see their tongues. I hope you aren't grossed out.

Baby birds have huge, closed eyes and only the tiniest bit of feather down. They open up when they get the light on them.

Our dog is fenced away from them and VERY interested in them. We are keeping a very close eye on him to make sure he doesn't try to get them!

Forget me nots, a gift of seeds from my friend Mindy when we moved here and they still come up around the yard each year!

Here's the sweet lady bug Josie found and she also chose the background color.

Mom and Dad bird are in this picture perched on the fence near the pole. Can you see them? They have very good camouflage!

Comments

Rebecca Anne said…
I would probably be out there checking on them everyday too! Love the dog. :-)
Jenna said…
Oh baby birdies. :) What an observant child you have!
Kate O'Connor said…
They are SO cute and crazy looking! I'm looking forward to the updates :)
Amanda said…
Ahh... baby birds! We're in the middle of lambing and calving season right now... so lot's of baby's around here too!
Nikki Closser said…
Those little baby bird faces!! Love them! Spring is the best :)
Aren't they cool? Your daughter has a very keen ear.